Looking for a doctor?
Use our online Find a Doctor tool to look for doctors, hospitals, labs and other healthcare providers in your Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield plan. Check if your favorite doctor is part of your plan, or look for one near you. Avoid getting care from doctors outside of your plan if you can — it will cost you more or your plan may not cover it all.
Here's all you need to do:
If you're a member
Go to anthem.com, select the member icon and log in.
Under Useful Tools on the right, select Find a Doctor.
If you're not a member yet
Go to anthem.com
Select Menu and then choose
Find a Doctor and Search as Guest
Select "Search by selecting a Plan or Network"
Then answer a few questions.
Next, select a type of doctor, place or name. Select Search.
What type of care are you searching for? Select "Medical"
What state do you want to search in? Select a state OH, PA, etc.
Select a plan/network National PPO (BlueCard PPO)
Continue with your search.
Select a doctor to see more information, such as:
- Languages spoken
- Address (including a map)
- Phone number
Use your mobile device to search for doctors, hospitals and more with our free app from the App Store or Google Play. Just search for Anthem Anywhere and download the app.
Take your benefits with you
With the BlueCard PPO and Blue Cross Blue Shield Global Core programs
What happens if you’re away from home and you need care right away? As an Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield (Anthem) member, you have access to care across the country through the BlueCard® PPO Program. This includes 93% of doctors and 96% of hospitals in the U.S.(1)
How to access care across the U.S.:
- Call 911 or go to the nearest hospital in an emergency*
- Go to anthem.com, log in and use the Find a Doctor tool to search for the BlueCard PPO Program doctor or hospital.
- Use the Anthem Anywhere app to search for a BlueCard PPO Program doctor or hospital. Get turn-by-turn directions to the nearest doctor, urgent care or hospital.
- Call Member Services at the number on your ID card. They can help you find a doctor or hospital.
*You or a family member needs to call the Member Services number on your ID card within 24 hours (48 hours for members in Indiana) after going to the hospital or as soon as you can.
Here's what you need to know:
- Before leaving the country, ask member services if your international benefits are different.
- Ask for approval before getting care. This is "pre-certification" and helps you find care covered by your plan. To see if you need precertification, call Member Services at the number on your ID card.
- Save money by seeing a BlueCard program doctor or hospital. You only pay your usual out-of-pocket amounts (such as deductible, your percentage of costs of copay.) If you go to doctor or hospital outside the program, you'll need to pay the entire bill up front.
- Show your Anthem ID card so the doctor or hospital can check your benefits and send us a claim for processing.
How to access care around the world
The Blue Cross Blue Shield Core Program gives you benefits when you travel outside the U.S.
If you're outside the U.S., you can use the Blue Cross Blue Shield Global Core Program. It gives you access to preferred doctors and hospitals in nearly 190 countries and territories around the world. (2)
Need care outside the U.S.?
- Go straight to the nearest hospital in an emergency
- Go to bcbsglobalcore.com to search for a doctor or hospital.
- Use the Blue Cross Blue Shield Global Core app to find a doctor or hospital.
- Call the Blue Cross Blue Shield Global Core Service Center 24/7 at 1-800-810-2583 (BLUE) or call collect at 1-804-673-1177. They can help you set up a doctor visit or hospital stay.
Download the Blue Cross Blue Shield Global Core app today
With the app, you can:
- Search for a doctor or hospital.(3)
- Submit claims.
- Get medical terms and phrases for many symptoms translated - and even use an audio feature to play the translation. (3)
- Find a drug's generic name, local brand name and check whether it's available.
- Get information about how to find and contact a U.S. embassy.
Unless it's an emergency, call the Blue Cross Blue Shield Global Core Service Center before getting care outside the U.S. Blue Cross Blue Shield Global Core will work with the doctor and Anthem to approve and accept a Guarantee of Payment (GOP). What if you get care from a doctor or hospital that has not accepted a GOP?
- You will need to pay up front in full for your care.
- Download an international claim form at bcbsglobalcore.com or get a form by calling Member Services at the number on your ID card.
- Fill out the claim form and send it with the original bills to the Blue Cross Blue Shield Global Core Service Center. You can submit them through the mobile app, email or postal mail.
*If you don’t know the name of the plan or network, check with your human resources department or benefits administrator.
The Blue Cross Blue Shield Global Core program was formerly known as BlueCard Worldwide®.
Blue Cross, Blue Shield, the Blue Cross and Blue Shield symbols, BlueCard, BlueCard Worldwide, and Blue Cross Blue Shield Global are trademarks of the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association, an association of independent Blue Cross and Blue Shield companies.
Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield is the trade name of: In Colorado: Rocky Mountain Hospital and Medical Service, Inc. HMO products underwritten by HMO Colorado, Inc. Copies of Colorado network access plans are available on request from member services or can be obtained by going to anthem.com/co/networkaccess. In Connecticut: Anthem Health Plans, Inc. In Georgia: Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Georgia, Inc. In Indiana: Anthem Insurance Companies, Inc. In Kentucky: Anthem Health Plans of Kentucky, Inc. In Maine: Anthem Health Plans of Maine, Inc. In Missouri (excluding 30 counties in the Kansas City area): RightCHOICE® Managed Care, Inc. (RIT), Healthy Alliance® Life Insurance Company (HALIC), and HMO Missouri, Inc. RIT and certain affiliates administer non-HMO benefits underwritten by HALIC and HMO benefits ii underwritten by HMO Missouri, Inc. RIT and certain affiliates only provide administrative services for self-funded plans and do not underwrite benefits. In Nevada: Rocky Mountain Hospital and Medical Service, Inc. HMO products underwritten by HMO Colorado, Inc., dba HMO Nevada. In New Hampshire: Anthem Health Plans of New Hampshire, Inc.; HMO plans are administered by Anthem Health Plans of New Hampshire, Inc. and underwritten by Matthew Thornton Health Plan, Inc. In Ohio: Community Insurance Company. In Virginia: Anthem Health Plans of Virginia, Inc. trades as Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield in Virginia, and its service area is all of Virginia except for the City of Fairfax, the Town of Vienna, and the area east of State Route 123. In Wisconsin: Blue Cross Blue Shield of Wisconsin (BCBSWi), underwrites or administers PPO and indemnity policies and underwrites the out of network benefits in POS policies offered by Compcare Health Services Insurance Corporation (Compcare) or Wisconsin Collaborative Insurance Corporation (WCIC). Compcare underwrites or administers HMO or POS policies; WCIC underwrites or administers Well Priority HMO or POS policies. Independent licensees of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association. ANTHEM is a registered trademark of Anthem Insurance Companies, Inc.